Blueberry Smoothie to Boost Your Brain
Blueberries are one of my favorite brain foods, and are the definite star of this bright purple smoothie!
Researchers found that a large helping of this fruit - nature's 'superfood' - boosts concentration and memory up to five hours later. Wow! This makes it the perfect mid-day or afternoon snack for a healthy energy boost.
Blueberries also have the highest antioxidant capacity of all commonly consumed fruits and vegetables. Regularly elevated levels of stress and anxiety can accelerate the brain’s aging process, having negative effects on overall brain function. The antioxidants in blueberries seem to have many positive benefits for the brain, helping to improve cognitive function and delay this age-related decline.
- 1 large handful of greens (I often do half spinach, half kale), roughy 1 packed cup or maybe add a scoop of green powder
- 1 cup of oat, almond or coconut milk (can also be substitutes with water)
- 1 cup of blueberries (preferably frozen if you like your smoothies cold and icy)
- 1/2 banana (preferably frozen)
- 1 scoop evolve vanilla vegetable protein blend
Optional power food additions to experiment with:
- 1 tsp bee pollen, one of my personal daily favorites for a supported immune system
- 1 tsp of hemp seeds
- 1 tablespoon of almond butter
- Add additional ice to your liking —> I prefer my smoothies and juices closer to room temperature, but you can start with 3-4 ice cubes and go from there until you reach your desired consistency. If you use both frozen banana and blueberries, you may not need it. To each their own!
Other blueberry recipes worth trying:
Gut healthy Blueberry-Kiwi Smoothie: https://thealmondeater.com/blueberry-kiwi-protein-smoothie/
Refreshing Blueberry-Rosemary Lemonade Mocktail: https://www.simmerandsauce.com/drinks/blueberry-rosemary-mocktail/
Gluten-free Blueberry Muffins with Loads of Variations: https://www.rhiansrecipes.com/gluten-free-vegan-blueberry-muffins/
Blueberry-lemon and Thyme Jam: https://www.cookinglight.com/cooking-101/blueberry-lemon-and-thyme-chia-jam-recipe
Blueberry-flaxseed Breakfast Porridge: https://www.nourishedbycaroline.ca/15-minute-blueberry-flax-oatmeal/
Pro tip: Always wash your blueberries extremely well, as they are also known to carry high levels of pesticides if not washed properly. I buy all of my berries fresh in large quantities and then wash and freeze most of them for future use in smoothies, smoothie bowls, etc.
Hope you enjoy 😊
Always remember: you are powerful!
Join our Frequency Shifters Wisdom Vault to deepen your knowledge of ancient wisdom and build your own personal "Farmacy" of wellness tools and resources that help you feel and function at your very best!
- Arielle Balaskovits